Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cranberry Fest



WARRENS, WI Cranberry Fest 2008

Harvesting Cranberries, which I thought grew in water... but Michael informed me that cranberries don't actually grow in the water. They grow in a bog, which is somewhere between dry land and a swamp in terms solidity. Because the bog is not solid enough to support machinery, and the fact that cranberries float, the bog is flooded for the harvest.

...

(He is his father's son!)
Cranberries are really good for you, and Wisconsin's economy!

A view of a few of the people at the festival.....

Warrens WI Hosts a Cranberry Festival the last weekend in September every year. It started in 1973 with 3,500 people in attendance. It has grown to where 110,000 people attended the 3 day festival last year.


Mark and I went to Warrens yesterday to see what the festival was like. There were at least 50,000 people there, and many of them had carts, or walkers or strollers... and they were all shopping and eating. There were more than 1250 booths, and 3 miles of booth frontage.

For more information on the festival go to http://www.cranfest.com/

If anyone wants to go next year let me know... but make sure your in good shape! I pooped out before I saw everything! Another sign I am getting old......

1 comment:

Mike said...

Cranberries don't actually grow in the water. They grow in a bog, which is somewhere between dry land and a swamp in terms solidity. Because the bog is not solid enough to support machinery, and the fact that cranberries float, the bog is flooded for the harvest. And I have no idea why I know any of that.